Sunday 27 May 2018

And then there was Egg

So, after all the anticipation, all that’s left is a few twigs and one egg. It was hard, that moment when the birds flew off.

I was lucky, in a way, that I was watching. I’d glanced across and noticed there was no bird on the nest - but that happened from time to time, for a minute or few, so I wasn’t particularly worried. 



But then both birds returned together. They perched beside their little egg and did a lot of head-cocking and bobbing, cooed a lot, and then flew off towards the distant hills. I’ve seen one of them since, come back just to check on the egg once or twice, but within hours it was clear that this nest has been abandoned. 

Who knows why? There are a thousand reasons why this egg didn’t hatch - and it’s far from uncommon. Collared doves (I now know) lay just a couple of eggs but have several clutches through the year. Unlike birds that lay many more eggs, they are quick to fly off and try again rather than persist with an egg that hangs around a bit. What this couple haven’t done is relay eggs in this nest.

Which is sensible. For this nest is in full sun for much of the day - and so has been fryingly hot over the past couple of weeks. The bird on the nest has sat with her beak open and a wobble in her throat, presumably the equivalent of a dog panting to keep itself cool. A chick exposed to that sun would risk serious dehydration. And when it rained, there was no protection at all.

I was saddened, of course. After the delight of the nest being built in the first place, I settled into life with Bird and looked forward to a chick. But I also knew that it was a stupid place for a bird to raise a brood.

And so I wish them well with a second clutch, wherever it is.


And I need to clear this gutter (not, of course, on my own - that would involve dangling over my balcony) - and, regrettably, put some sort of spiky thing in the balcony to deter any other birds nesting here. 

10 comments:

  1. Well, that's nature for you. :-) Wise, ever-knowledgeable Mother Nature :-).

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather sad for you, but I am glad that these dim sounding birds finally realised that they were doing the wrong thing. I put a bird feeder on the balcony a couple of months ago and have now got a semi resident pigeon who has worked out that he can hoover up the seeds that get scattered from the feeder. He waits patiently and then cleans it all up. Now, if only I could find something to clean up the pigeon poo, it would be a wonderful self regulating system......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s why I’ve not got a bird feeder on the balcony - there are so many pigeons round here!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating. We have collared doves round here. You've made me wonder where they nest and if they ever do this. I'll have to keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They like gutters and ledges, but clearly aren’t very bright!

      Delete
  4. What a shame, but yes, that is nature, and they probably know best. It may well be that Egg had already boiled and was therefore unlikely to become Birdlet. A sad outcome, but such is life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you’re right, and Egg was well-cooked by the time they abandoned it!

      Delete
  5. I love our mourning doves but haven't seen where they nest. Perhaps they look like collared doves; what a wild place for yours to nest with the hot sun beating down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly silly birds. It would have be nice to see a little chick fly the nest.

    ReplyDelete