Wednesday 12 December 2012

Singing, just for the fun of it.

As some of you know, I sing in a choir. And I love it - because it's impossible to sing and think about anything else. Music fills my head and reaches right down to my toes, and somehow all the bits in between join in the fun.

Unlike some choirs, we have no auditions - so no scary standing in front of everyone singing Over the Rainbow and missing the top note. But everyone can read music - so we all have a musical background, though some of it is rudimentary and unused since primary school. Our average age - is probably over sixty-five. But we are undeterred; the joy of singing together is enough to keep us meeting, week after week, in a draughty hall.

We have some wonderful singers. Everyone tries to sit close to one of them, as they can be relied upon to hit the right notes in the difficult buts. And we have some weaker singers - there is the person who is going deaf, but has perfect timing. He watches the conductor, never misses a beat, but his note can be, well, approximate. We have the enthusiast, who has forgotten the art of singing quietly, and so enjoys herself that she joins in with everyone else's part when hers is silent. Nothing will stop us enjoying ourselves  - and when we sang Mozart's Requiem in Malmesbury Abbey we surprised ourselves how wonderful we were. And we are always better in concert than we are in rehearsal - the acoustics change in a space that is full of people. In rehearsal - I hate to mention cats ...

Next Saturday, we are singing in a concert.

And we are singing O Magnum Mysterium - which is one of the most wonderful pieces of music in the world, and can make me cry when we get it right. But each part (sopranos, altos, tenors and basses) split into at least two, to make those wonderful chords. With a shortage of tenors some of the altos (including me) are trying to sing first tenor (this time I will admit to sounding like a cat, albeit a growling one)

So - here is what it should sound like.

If anyone should be coming to see us, close your eyes and pretend we sound like this. Forgive us our wobbly bits ... (classical music alert - and you can stop it at the talky bit at the end, but this is the best version of it I could find).


7 comments:

  1. "Music fills my head and reaches right down to my toes, and somehow all the bits in between join in the fun." - Beautiful. And what an utterly lovely and serene piece of music too. Made me feel all teary! I bet it will sound just as fab when you sing it with your choir. You haven't said where you are singing this... but good luck and have a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece. I am sure that your choir will inspire others - with music like this, love and passion, how can they fail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - we are a scratch choir, and cannot do justice to this - but it will be sung with feeling. Just maybe a few wonky notes along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. I hope the concert goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aj Jo, music like that fills my heart. Makes me want to cry. Beautiful. I can imagine you just love it! Wishing you well for the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    man and van tooting

    ReplyDelete