Sunday 3 July 2016

Thinking in Paris

I said I'd tell you more about Frogs and Frigate birds - which is it already hopping about on Amazon (you can find it here). But it's going to have to wait, again, as I've been in Paris for a few days.

It is, of course, a beautiful city, with its boulevards and cafes and wonderful art galleries. I've gazed at paintings and sculptures, riffled through stalls on the Left Bank. And I've been to Versailles - a reminder, should I need it, of what happens when the rich and powerful make assumptions about the downtrodden. (It's also, with the weakened pound, an expensive city - so anyone thinking of bringing a family over at the moment might need to raid the kids' piggy banks).

And, while I've been wandering around contemplating the river and the wine, things at home haven't quietened down. Our politicians, it seems, are intent on eating each other. The situation is degenerating into farce.

I've not avoided the questions here - from the woman in the tourist information, the young waiter, the couple in the queue at Versailles. And I've been honest: I'm still saddened by recent events and appalled by headless-chicken behaviour of our politicians.

The response: unequivocal kindness and support. They love us, and want us to stay in the EU. Just because our leaders are failing us doesn't mean we can't continue to join hands across La Manche. We will not allow the duplicity and hubris of those in power to get in the way of our day-to-day determination to rub along together. It has been humbling - don't apologise for the behaviour of others, I've been told. Just continue with my efforts to sustain respect and mutual understanding and all will be well.

I'll do my best, I tell them. I can't speak for anyone else, but, like Rodin, I have a lot to think about.



4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely time and received a good welcome. My young friend was in Paris at the same time as you on her hen weekend,you probably heard them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My SIL is in the foreign office so works a lot with other countries..there is universal shock and horror at what is going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't we all feel we have a lot to think about now. Very hard but I am hoping it will be good for us in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still working on acceptance as a natural trait in human beings. It's more than 20 years in the making for me. I do not always accept and yet accept we must. An unnecessary referendum was called to placate a group of politicians who do not represent the majority of the United Kingdom. People who have felt neglected for many years saw this as an opportunity to send a message to Westminster. Said people were taken advantage of by unscrupulous politicians who stir up conflicts the consequences of which they will not suffer. Instead it will be the people who voted to leave who will bear the brunt. Should I carry on? As I said before, I am really working hard on acceptance. Encore, c'est trës dif... :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete