Sunday 15 May 2016

What's in a name?

I read a post the other day about about boobies - the anatomical kind. (No, I wasn't getting kinky: the post raised questions about how to name body parts and most of us, when we're writing, have to wrestle with that sometimes.)

When I was in the Galápagos Islands I saw hundreds of blue-footed boobies, and before you get to too excited, this is what they look like:



I bring this up now as I'm wrestling with a title for my new book about my trip to Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands. And here is now my thinking goes:

I saw so many birds and animals, I'm sure I can find something alliterative to make a good title. Something like Frogs and Frigate Birds - except most people don't know what frigate birds are. If you curious, they look like this:



Or maybe Bats and Boobies ... I've nothing against erotica in its place, and although I witnessed a little springtime hanky-panky I don't want mislead anyone.

Monkeys and Mocking birds ... Frogs and Finches ... Toucans and Tortoises ... Monkeys and Manta Rays ...

(The subtitle, predictably, will be Over the Hill goes to Ecuador.)

So if anyone has a great idea, or an opinion - now is the time to share it!

13 comments:

  1. I liked frgs and frigate birds..I think most people know what they are, and you could put a pic of them on the cover. And it alliterates and rolls off the tongue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pattern of frogs and fright birds, it's definitely high on my list - glad you like it too!

      Delete
  2. I like Frogs and Frigate Birds too. I knew what they were! Alliteraton is good, and ... well, basically: what Carol said!

    Definitely not boobies - horrible word, when used in the smutty way, and would actively put me off a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't serious abou boobies! And yes, not my favourite word, unless it's attached to a bird!

      Delete
  3. Step away from the birds - "Frogs and Frigates"

    Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble with dropping the 'birds' is people thinking it's something to do with ships. But I can see where you're coming from - being a poet and cutting words!

      Delete
  4. I like the Frogs and Frigates too,but I would add one more as I like the rhythm of three more than two myself. Something like Frogs, Frigates and Flotsam (if there was any of course). I don't mean you should use that necessarily but just for the idea...and if I'm talking rubbish (sorry), then just ignore me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have a big think about that - Flotsam feels a bit vague. Will see if I can think of something else beginning with F.

      Delete
    2. You can also ignore it, Jo. After all. I loved the Bombs and Butterflies title, and that's just two although it has a three rhythm with the butterflies. I'm just being awkward, but I agree with Tony about the 'birds', but I also agree with you that it's difficult to drop it. What about Frogs, Frigates and Fauna or Flowers or Frangipani? Okay, I'll go away now, but maybe there's a special flower beginning with 'f'.....

      Delete
    3. I think this just highlights how difficult it is to get titles right. One person insists to drop the 'birds' and someone else insists she's never buy a book about frigates as she's not interested in warships. And the three-thing - I know we're taught about the 'rule of three' when lecturing (or giving evidence, as I used to do), even if the third point simply reinforces the first. But I love the rhythm of the one-one-three syllable thing. Oh heck, who know? It's not possible to please all the people all of the time!

      Delete
  5. Bats and Boobies should increase traffic to your website and wherever else you choose to sell your book. :-) They call it "click bait" in marketing. Everybody's at it these days. Even serious broadsheets with a website attached to them use click bait.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the increasing traffic thing, and know it's used everywhere. But as a feminist I won't join the 'let's talk about tits' brigade, even as a joke, just to get people to read my stuff. If fewer people notice it, so be it - I've been true to my own principles. This probably makes me sound pompous, oh well, that's just how it is!

      Delete
  6. I've often wondered where the name boobies for those birds came from. I know that in relation to breasts they come from the old word "bubs" or "bubbies" which I suppose probably comes from "babies" I also don't know where the idea of a "booby" being something stupid comes from. Aren't words interesting?

    ReplyDelete