Sunday 9 August 2015

Nepal - not long now

The summer is creeping by - and before I know it I'll be catching the plane to Nepal. It's hard to believe it's come round so quickly - just one month now, and I'll be on my way.

It's been hard to keep in touch with how things are there - reports are confusing. The British foreign office advice is to avoid most of the mountain treks, although they feel Annapurna is safe. The Nepalis insist that most treks are open (or will be once the monsoon is over) - of the well-known routes only Everest is still closed. There has also been a recent suggestion that the seismic activity has not ended, and the south-west border with India could be a bit wobbly. On top of that, the monsoon has brought storms and landslides this year.

All of which would suggest I'll see nothing but destruction. However, we all know that the media loves a trauma and overlooks the ordinary. It's hard, from this distance, to estimate the extent to which the aftermath of the earthquake and monsoon have left people struggling, or whether they have picked themselves up and I'll recognise the resilience and humour that I've met before.

As you know, I'm going because friends in the county want me to. My own focus will be on reconnecting with those I know and love. But I also know that the country needs tourists: they are essential to kick-start the economy and help get the country back on its feet.

So here's a question. What do you want me to look for?

Are you interested in the state of the temples? The mountain treks? Whether hotels and restaurants are functioning? The state of the roads? Whether people feel defined by disasters or are they resilient enough to feel they are putting it behind them?

I don't know yet if there will be an ebook, but do want to write - here, if nowhere else - about everything that tourists might find when they return to Nepal. It's my small contribution to helping the country get back on its feet. Which is why I need to know what you need me to try to find out.

11 comments:

  1. Jo, I'd love to go to Nepal, but have doubts that I will make it that far now. But if I were able to go, I'd want to know about the state of the roads and/or other transport from place to place, and yes, how the people are coping. Do they have enough to eat, places to shelter etc. I cannot imagine how hard the winter will be if they have nowhere to call home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roads - I can tell you about now. Those in the mountains are always a bit unpredictable, as the monsoon means landslides. So even without the earthquake they need to rebuild roads every year. They are less of a challenge in the flat lands in the south.

      The 'winter' - is more a difference between a rainy season and a not-so-rainy season. They don't have winters as we know them, though it can get very cold high in the mountains. I'm going towards the end of the monsoon, so might have some idea how they've managed.

      And the people - I'll let you know.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I was under the misapprehension that most of Nepal was at high altotude, and therefore cold in winter. I nead to read more...

      Delete
  2. I do think you're brave going back when you don't really know what you'll find. I know you've been there before and know the country and the people but please be careful. I would like to know if the aid from other countries is helping them and is it continuing or been forgotten about . We don't hear any follow up stories in the news about how the people are rebuilding their houses and their lives. Is it best to give to a local charity or one of the big ones? I find if I give online or by phone to a big charity they never stop pestering you for more. Have a save trip and we all want to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that some of the big charities find money disappears in admin and corruption from local officials - but am not able to give you an example as my informer would lost his job if I did.

      If you know a small, local charity - then I always go that way. I'm not saying they are never corrupt, but it does feel more likely that the money gets to local people.

      I'll do my best to notice how people are rebuilding their lives - without being too intrusive to people who are struggling.

      Delete
  3. I think that you should be planning to write not for us, but for yourself in the short term. Ultimately I think you could write a book about the situation in the country that could be used to promote the issues that the Nepalese are living with day to day, a raising of awareness generally. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall certainly write for myself - that's the easy bit!! I'd like to write an ebook, but that depends a bit on what I find when I get there. I do agree that raising awareness feels important.

      Delete
  4. I'm interested to know how well the aid is getting distributed and dispersed. I always hesitate before I donate to emergency situations because I have this deep fear that the money is siphoned or stolen or wasted. It may be hard to find this information out, but if you have the opportunity to ask, I would love to hear what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you contribution, Laura - this seems to be a common concern. I know a little about it, and yes, I think it will be almost impossible to get details - but will think about a blogpost before I go, just to share how I think about it!

      Delete
  5. I have nothing to add to those comments, except that I wish you a safe and fruitful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mountain trips and the people. Be safe, Jo xx

    ReplyDelete