Sunday 28 June 2015

Nepal - a thank you.

I can't begin to describe how it has felt being on the receiving end of so much support following my decision to visit Nepal in the autumn.

There have been comments here, and on Facebook and Twitter, that anyone can see. But that is the tip of the iceberg (forgive the cliche) - it's private messages from people I've never met that are particularly touching. People who have neighbours who are Gurkhas, returning to the country to find out if their families are alive and their homes still standing. People with sons and daughters who were in the country at the time and have listened to terrifying tales every since they came home - the guilt of survivors. People who have asked what I need to take with me - offers of help to buy goodies.

It's been humbling. I feel as if I'm carrying many hopes and expectations with me - and yet you know I can promise nothing in return and that doesn't seem to trouble you. I carry your love as well as my own with me on this journey.

I have no idea what I shall find there - apart from a generous and resourceful people who are busy putting their lives back together again.

I can only tell you that I will write about it. I can't promise an ebook (I'll take that decision when I get home), but there will certainly be plenty of blogging (though maybe unreliable blogging, as internet connections might be interesting). There will be photographs - though I'll keep images of devastation to a minimum.

Ps - not blog next Monday. I'll be in Barcelona ... cue Freddie Mercury impressions ...

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure you have made the right decision - for yourself, to set your mind at rest, and for your friends, to show that you care. Will be following your adventures.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not too many adventures, Carol! I'll keep well away from the tigers this time!

      Delete
  2. I think you're doing the right thing for you and for your friends. Enjoy Barcelona, I. .I think I must be due another visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Barcelona before, but I expect it to be wonderful! There will be pictures!

      Delete
  3. I will be really interested to read your posts, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am already looking forward to your travelogue. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete