Saturday 1 February 2020

And so to the cities.

I couldn’t flop about watching crabs forever. And so I packed my bags and headed to a big city for a couple of days. Guayaquil has a history of piracy and general skullduggery, and so the relative safety the Malecon (the waterfront) is a significant achievement. I say ‘relative’ - there is a metal fence between the Malecon and the street that Trump would be proud of, and security bids at every turn. Even so I saw a pickpocket try his luck (and fail) with a woman’s handbag. Which might explain why this fellow was taking any chances



Two days was long enough for Guayaquil. Besides, I wanted, more than anything, to be reminded of why I love Cuenca. It was quite a drive - the views through the mountains are stunning (they would have been even more stunning if we weren’t in cloud for much of the way). I’ve stayed in Cuenca before; it’s a significant city, but the historical centre is compact and easy to explore on foot. This is the heart of the old colonial city and it’s extravagant and full of stories and crumbling in places:



But it’s much more than that. The Pumapungo museum is home to a succession of tableaux celebrating the cultures of indigenous peoples who were here long before the Spanish. I love it - it’s where Ecuadorians step aside from all things Spanish and recognise those who came before. As a museum it’s crude in places, but succeeds in exploring the ethnic diversities of Ecuador without being patronising. (Nor, being honest, does it recognise that indigenous peoples still have a tougher time here than those of Spanish descent. But that’s a complicated story that I am ill-equipped to tell).

There’s no photography allowed in the Pumapungo museum, sadly. However, I also dropped by a private collection of artefacts going back 15,000 years - much of it evidence that informs current anthropological research here. Among them was this huge pot (it’s about 1500 years old, and I have no idea why it has an extra face. But it made me smile!):




And then there’s Ingapirca, a bus ride away. This is an Inca settlement constructed on top of an older Cañari site. This photograph doesn’t do justice to the significance of this site (and anyone who has been to Machu Picchu - I haven’t - might scoff at it) but, from Ecuador’s perspective, it’s the most impressive evidence they have of the might of the Incas here. And the llamas seem happy



All very interesting and educational. It was time to saunter through hot streets and remind myself of why of its Spanish magnificence. And to decide if I should have an ice cream ... Maybe not from here




I have no idea how this is kept cold on a hot afternoon in Cuenca. Ecuadorians innards may be immune to any bugs that have made merry in the sunshine. Better for retreat to a pavement cafe for a cup of tea


3 comments:

  1. Good to see you’re getting around so much, Jo. Does Cuenca still hold the magic for you it had before? It looks rich in architecture but I don’t think that is what makes magic, is it? What a history Ecuador has! Their culture is so rich. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, Val - Cuenca is a very easy city to wander round - and I wandered off the beaten track this time, into some local markets and back streets and saw that life isn’t all lovely architecture and history (no pictures - these are real people and I don’t have permission to show them) - so I saw a bit of the other side of the city. Then went back to my comfortable hotel. I still love it - and there is a significant expat population here who also love it. So it’s a great city for the privileged but life can be tough if you aren’t.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine. Sadly, that is usually the case in these countries. I noticed the same even in Portugal, which is rich by comparison, I'm sure. Even so, there are plenty of people with very little material wealth there. I'm so glad you still love it there. It's always a risk when you go back somewhere you've fallen in love with, isn't it?

      Delete